It’s a new year and a time of reflection. Want to take your career to the next level? Take pen to paper and make note of where you are today and where you want to be next year at this time. The next step is to take action.
Here are 8 tips to help you move up in your career and achieve your goals.
1. Show up to work on time. Don’t stay up all night watching a documentary on Netflix and then not be able to get up in the morning, making you late for work and drag around all day because you are tired.
2. Go above and beyond. Don’t simply stick to the minimum work load to just get by. Jump in and give it all you’ve got. Go the extra mile. Participating in after work activities with your co-workers shows genuine interest and reflects you’re a team player.
3. Take action. Don’t sit back and wait… wait… wait… for someone to reach out to you, to guide and lead you to the next step in your career. Only YOU can make it happen.
4. Ask for help. You don’t have to go it alone. This is the hardest thing for people to do, ask for help. Hold your head up, put your shoulders back, look people in the eye and ask for help. You’ll be surprised how many will be honored to support and guide you.
5. Follow through. If you say you are going to do something, do it. Failure to deliver on your word will tarnish your advancement.
6. Share. Share your dreams and plans with others. It helps you be accountable for them and opens an opportunity for them to help you. You never know when key connections will be right in front, in turn, assisting you to move up, and closer to your goals.
7. Get out of your comfort zone. Take on tasks you are not sure you can handle. Advancement in your career will take you out of your comfort zone. You will be on a learning curve, so you will want to be prepared.
8. Action. Failing to take action ensures you’ll stay right were are, killing your upward momentum. Dream, believe, take action and you will achieve!